Working your abs like crazy but not seeing the results? Well, here are 4 simple rules to follow to help uncover those abdominal muscles!
1. Eat Clean
Stay clear of processed foods! Eating a diet of whole foods will help to reduce bloating, water retention and fat which covers up that 6 pack! It’s not about eating less if you are eating the right foods. When your body gets the proper nutrition it wont crave the junk. Portion control is important as you need to burn more calories then you eat in order to reduce fat so eating the right kinds of foods makes this much easier to do.
2. Pay Attention to Posture
Throughout the day be certain to pay attention to your posture. Belly button in, back straight, no slouching!
3. Use your Bodyweight
Machines that isolate do not allow you to engage your core. Exercises like planking (bridging) and using a stability ball work wonders to engage the core and strengthen abdominal muscles. There are tons of planking varieties and they are a great way to work your abs and up your core strength without equipment.
4. Work a Little Harder
Remember to keep upping the intensity of your core workouts. By doing so you are turning your body into a fat burning machine and burning more calories.
Remember, this doesn’t happen overnight but with some patience and perseverance, anything is possible!
During the Holidays it can be hard to stay on track with both your fitness routine and eating habits. It is important to keep in mind that daily exercise is a great way to beat stress so keeping on track can really help you get through what can be a stressful time of year.
Along side keeping up with your fitness routine comes the pressure of eating right during the Holidays. While a little indulgence is deserved, setting limits is important to keep you from sabotaging the hard work you have been putting in to obtain your goals.
Stay on track and enter the New Year feeling and looking your best with these 10 tips on staying fit over the Holidays.
- Plan your training – while planning is already an important factor in staying fit, doing so over the Holidays is even more so.
- Adjust Your Schedule – during the Holidays things can get very busy with preparations, kids being out of school and so on. Get your day started a little earlier than normal and get your workout in before tackling your ‘to do’ list.
- Find a Workout Partner – having a fitness minded friend can help a lot over the holiday season as you can keep each other motivated and accountable.
- Make it a Family Affair – the holidays are about spending quality time with your loved ones. Plan activities such as skiing or find a holiday themed activity in your community to get involved in such as a fun run.
- Play with the Kids – snowball fights, sledding and ice skating are not only a great way to have fun with the kids but they get your heart pumping, get you moving and burn calories.
- Use Bodyweight – can’t make it to the gym over the holidays? No excuse. Bodyweight exercises are a great way to get in a quick workout with little to no equipment. Check out the Benefits of Bodyweight Exercise and get motivated!
- Create a Challenge – set a goal, sign up for a competition or race in January/February to help keep you motivated and on track.
- Indulge a Little – I do not believe in depriving yourself however limiting yourself is key. Along with the Holidays comes drinks, baked goods and treats of all sorts. Indulge in moderation, smaller servings and limit yourself on the sweets.
- Snack Smart – while running errands or before the holiday party, eat snacks high in protein to keep you from getting starved which in return can lead to over eating.
- Relax & Enjoy – the Holidays are about quality time with family and friends and gratitude. Avoid setting unrealistic goals, focus on the little things and get your rest!
I personally am a huge fan of bodyweight training. Other than the many benefits it has, it allows you to work out anywhere and without the use of equipment. So, no excuses! Check out the benefits and get to it!
- Faster Fat Burning
- Provides both Cardiovascular & Strength training
- Strengthens the core
- Improves flexibility
- Variations allow for continued progression
- Highly Efficient
- Time saving
- Perfect for all fitness levels
- Free! No Gym membership required!